top of page

since 1912

TRADITION HISTORY FAMILY

PHILANTHROPY

gmarconi.png
flagslogo.jpg

At a meeting December 14th 1912, 31 steelworkers, paperworkers, railroaders, labourers and merchants came together determined to form an association under the name of Societa` Italiana di Mutuo Soccorso Guglielmo Marconi.

As well as providing support for the unemployed, the sick and families of deceased members, they worked tirelessly to raise the morale, and to promote the material and moral well being of all who laboured.

gmarconi.png
0.png

Guglielmo Marconi - 1874-1937
Was an Italian inventor and electrical engineer, known for his pioneering work on long-distance radio transmission, development of Marconi's law, and a radio telegraph system.

Marconilogo400x400B.gif

The adopted logo of a firm, warm and meaningful handshake symbolized the society's bond of fraternity and unity of purpose. Pride in their heritage and loyalty to their newly adopted country was further reflected in the Society's emblem, incorporating both the Italian and Canadian flags.

In early years, the Italian immigrants in the city had a difficult time finding acceptance.One of the ways in which they coped was through their local Italian Hall. Italian immigrants needed assistance and at the Marconi Hall they could find this assistance. The Marconi Hall was a place where you could go to socialize and find help with everyday problems. It was a lonely time for many Italian immigrants. They left their life and families in Italy. The Marconi Hall helped the Italian Immigrant to cope.

First G.Marconi Society Hall. A Second floor meeting room on James St 1918

The G Marconi Society bought its first hall in 1918 at 128 James St.  Meetings were held on the second floor.

1948MarconiHall.jpg

A new hall is built and officially opened November 25 1931

1948 - Expansion of the G. Marconi Hall Lounge and Ladies Beverage Room

Tradition, history, family and philanthropy have defined the G.Marconi Society since 1912. From our first meeting room on James Street to our 21st-century digital tools,(gmarconiclub.com) we unify people to preserve and celebrate our Italian Canadian heritage here in Sault Ste Marie.

October 15th 1982 the new Marconi Hall was officially opened

GMSnewsletterLogo.jpg

Subscribe to our newsletter 

Thanks for subscribing!

bottom of page